Pages

2007/06/14

Legal Cuban Imports

Santa Fe Smoke Shop manager Beatriz Rodriguez displays one of the many varieties of cigars the store now has available to its customers at 211 W. Santa Fe Avenue in Grants, NM.
When I first heard about this assignment I had some grand ideas about a darkened room with the store owner lit with side/back lighting, smoke wisps encircling his head. Instead I found a climate controlled room, the owner out sick and a reporter trying to conduct an interview at the same time as I was making images. The manager did agree to show off some of the products, including a Cuban cigar that they sell,and is imported legally. But the realities of newspaper work often get in the way of the creative visions of a photographer. Too often things end up being situations where I just have to settle for what I can get.
Post a Comment