Pages

2007/08/23

People with Their Stuff

Today I has a couple of assignments today that lent themselves to portraiture. Portraiture in a hurry. I spent less than 10 minutes photographing each of the subjects here. The first one is of Robert Day in his auto repair garage. I spent about three minutes talking to him about his business and glanced around for something that would give a sense of what his story is. The suspended engine block caught my attention right away, and I originally thought of shooting with the open door to my back, letting the natural light come in for an even lighting, but the background was cluttered and distracting. Turning toward the doorway and using some off-camera flash to balance the scene looked better.

I angled the shot to minimize the whiteness of the sky and use the truck as an additional element of place.
Robert Day has seen his auto repair and tire business grow rapidly over the last six months in the Window Rock, Ariz. area. Located on Hwy. 264 just west of the fairgrounds, Day's Customs has grown from a small shack to a building with three car lifts and five employees who not only repair cars, but also customize them.

Harris Francis and Klara Kelley pause from setting up the new exhibit, Legacy of the Dine' Traders, Thursday at the gallery inside the Navajo Nation Museum in Window Rock, Ariz. The project, which opened to the public Thursday night, is the result of more than 20 years of research and study into the history of Native American traders and trading posts.

The second image here was done for a preview of the opening of a new gallery exhibit at the museum. The opening was only a few hours away and nothing had been hung on the walls yet. My hurry was to let them get back to work preparing for the opening. I placed three flashes for this image - one on camera as a bounce and trigger. The other two flashes were placed on the floor about 10 feet to each side of me.

Placing the strobes off to the sides allowed me to keep from having major issues with their eyeglasses and gave a more even light to the scene. I kept a wide aperture and slower shutter speed to allow the ambient color of the room to come into play in the background.
Post a Comment