Pages

2008/03/24

Spa for a Cause

A local group of cancer survivors and their support network raise money for the American Cancer Society through an event called Relay for Life. In addition to the large event, the groups that participate in the relay also hold other events to raise funds. Today they had a spa day at the UNM-Gallp branch cosmetology department. Facials, manicures and pedicures were available for $5.00 each. So I walked in this afternoon and sprung my camera on some unsuspecting prey... Not really. She is a cancer survivor herself, and leader of a relay for Life team, and was glad to let me photograph her to get the publicity for the event.



Beverly Crowe, a breast cancer survivor, gets a facial Monday from University of New Mexico-Gallup cosmetology student Paris Begay during the Relay for Life Spa day, a fund raiser to help support the American Cancer Society. The annual Relay for Life event is schedule for June 20 and 21.

The shooting situation was not ideal - window liht from one side and flourescent lights overhead. Time to use my own light sources. I wanted to give the shots a look of natural light, not noticiable. So I dug into my bag of tricks and pulled out a SB-800 with a shoot through umbrella and a pocket wizard. I positioned the umbrella pointing down and at her feet, giving a pretty good wrap around light that only has minor hot spots. The hot spots bother me a lot less than the colors and the grainy shadows I would have faced using available light.
Post a Comment