Pages

2008/05/19

Second Chances, Second Career

The warning signs have been there for all to see, and growing larger every day. It has now reached the point where I feel like I am sitting in a room trying to ignore the elephant sitting in the middle of the floor.

Newspapers are in a lot of trouble. It is no secret - even the popular television show The Simpson's made fun of newspapers ("ha-ha, the industry is dying" - followed by principal Skinner scolding, "Just because something is true doesn't mean you have to say it.")

I have tried to write, re-write and edit this post many times now. It always ends up being a long, rambling and meandering thing in which I keep trying to justify my thoughts on leaving the industry, and at the same time trying to talk myself into staying put.

So rather than try to get things written out, when it is so much planning and speculation - trying to explore my best options - I'll merely leave this post as follows:

The news industry is changing, and there are a lot of people leaving it, voluntarily or not. I am at a point in my life where because of family and other reasons I am considering what my other career choice will be. I don't want to blindly sit around and then be caught unprepared when the axe falls for me in this industry. Even if I don't leave the paper for another 10 years, I need to have a plan in place.

In summary, two words: Exit Strategy.
Post a Comment