Pages

2009/08/08

Stop the deliveries - or a Bumble Ball?


Being in the vast expanses of the New Mexico high desert I seldom think about the traffic and congestion that are a way of life for so many people. When I left Minneapolis so many years ago it was not so much for the traffic and the noise as it was for the weather.

Nevertheless, browsing on various sites and linking to other sites led me to some articles about getting rid of all the delivery vehicles on the streets in the cities. The idea is to re-purpose the existing sewer and other underground infrastructures for some cargo delivery system.

That led me to a link about a device called UnitX which has a prototype developed and it seems like a great idea. Small robots that carry cargo boxes through the tunnel systems to the assigned address, some can be set up for delivering hot or cold items (pizza delivery?). The system might be something special - and at the same time simple. The robots are the moving parts - the tunnels only provide the path and electricity. Now, I wonder how long it would take to get an order of Kung Pao Chicken from Albuquerque to me out here. . . ?

Is it just me, or does the first image on the site remind anybody else of the classic "Bumble ball" toy?



Post a Comment