Pages

2010/03/30

The Shrinking Path - NY Times

A fellow photographer on sportsshooter.com posted a link to an article in the New York Times that I read this morning. It details a lot of the issues most photographers, especially freelance shooters, have been aware of for a while now, and explains what is behind them.

Why can't photographers make a living doing what they are good at these days? Technology is the main culprit. As the internet and digital cameras make it easier to take photos and share them the value has dropped.

Supply and demand - economics 101. Too many people are willing to give away their photos. Too many people don't see the photos as costing anything to produce and have no idea what a Cost of Doing Business analysis is.

To read the full story, click here.

A few days ago I was going through my archives of photos, looking for some examples to use for teaching in my digital darkroom class, and it really hit me how much I miss being able to go out and make pictures every day. I loved the job when I was making images, but I am not the hardcore self-promoter and business person that I would need to be to even have half a chance of making a living as a freelance photographer.

There are a lot of good photographers out there looking for work. A lot more are like me who have decided the risk is too great - too many responsibilities and commitments - and have moved in to other fields.
Post a Comment