Pages

2015/04/26

Lightroom 6/CC - maybe I can get caught up


  I suppose in the timeline of Adobe the latest update of Lightroom was overdue. I did not feel that Lightroom 5 was obsolete, and it really was not on my radar that an update should be coming until Scott Kelby shared it on Facebook.  For the good news of the upgrade:  They are still making LR6 a perpetual license for those not willing to spend money on the cloud services.


Image result for lightroom icon
Because I am already a Creative Cloud subscriber it was simple to update to Lightroom CC.  Just run the Creative Cloud program from my desktop and it installed it with no issues.  If you are not an Adobe Creative Cloud subscriber  there are some benefits to justify the upgrade. The usual includes the newest version of Camera Raw that can handle raw files from the newest cameras. Also under the hood Adobe claims the new version is more streamlined and will run faster. 

The biggest deal here with the upgrade is the new Face tagging feature.  Although it is not really new, it has been part of Photoshop Elements for a while now, and also part of Picasa and other services. When you upgrade and convert your catalog expect to spend a significant amount of time letting your catalog scan for faces.  Those of us with overly large catalogs can look forward to having to let the process run overnight or longer as it finds all of the faces.

The bad news about the upgrade: After playing with the new version I went to install the update on a couple of my classroom computers which have the Creative Cloud license through the school, and after doing several restarts signing in and out of the cloud etc. I still have not been able to get the update to show up as an option.  That's when I remembered reading a few weeks ago that new versions of software would not be supported on 32-bit computer systems. Every computer in my classroom is running Windows 7 and 32-bit processors.  If you are running an older machine then Lightroom 5 is the highest you get to go.

I have mixed feelings about Lightroom, and although it seems more and more shooters are making it their primary, if not only editing software, it is still not a 100% natural part of my workflow.  Truth be told, not working for a daily newspaper anymore I don't really have a set work flow these days.  I bounce around between Lightroom, ACDSee Pro 8, Adobe Bridge and Photo Mechanic for my import and initial edits.  Then I sometimes adjust with Bridge into Camera Raw, sometime adjust in Lightroom after adding the images to the catalog, and sometimes I go directly into Photoshop CC.  I like the concept of Lightroom, but the real obstacle I have with it is my own lack of organization over the years.  I have over half a million images on five different external hard drives.  Many are probably duplicates, and there are also a lot of similars.  The reason I have a hard time with Lightroom is it takes a long time to load that master catalog and let me start working.  If I try and work in another program (like ACDsee) then I have to synchronize the folder later in order to see the image accurately.


So what is my point to this rambling?  Don't be like me.  Have a work flow, stay on top of it and be consistent.  I am going to keep using the new version of Lightroom, and hopefully it will be the tool that I can use to finally get my image library under control.
Post a Comment