Pages

2015/09/29

Hipstamatic 300 - Nice concept, but . . .

Splash screen for version 300
A few days ago I was excited about the update to the Hipstamatic app. It has all kinds of potential. You can use the classic camera setup, or you can switch UI and use a new version which allows you to change aspect ratios, manually adjust focus, white balance, shutter speed and ISO.  Other improvements include putting your photos into the regular camera roll instead of dumping them into the Hipsta prints bin.

Another big plus right now is that everything, all of the packs and films, lenses and flashes, are free. This includes some of the promotional packs that were no longer available (like the Cowboys vs. Aliens pack).

If you notice in my first sentence I wrote that I was excited.  Past tense.  I suppose I am partly to blame for the issues I am having, because yes, I am still using a virtual antique of a phone. (My phone carrier will allow me to upgrade in December...).

So what is the issue? The same one being reported by a lot of users.  It is slow and it crashes. A lot. Like every two to three photos I take the app freezes, screen goes blank and then returns to the home screen.  Sometimes when I relaunch the app the photos are still in the processing queue.  Most of the time they are not.

New version of the Classic camera has some minor UI changes
Also be aware that this new version is a huge memory hog on your phone.  The old version took about 360 MB on my phone.  The new version is taking a whopping 1.1 GB. If you have a 64GB or even a 128GB phone this is not much of an issue. For me it is. Keep in mind that after my IOS I only have 5GB left on my phone.  Add in a few other apps like Instagram and a couple of camera and image editing apps (including Oggl) and suddenly I am running out of memory on my phone after just a few dozen images.

In defense of Hipstamatic,they already rolled out an update patch to version 301 that some users are saying fixed their crash issues.  For me, no such luck. I am going to try stripping off almost all of my other apps and see if having more memory available helps things run better.

Right now I feel that if I had the choice I would roll back my phone and revert to version 280. It crashed too, but it did not use up more than 20% of my total phone storage with one app that crashed.

The new camera view for Hipstamatic.
However, not all of us iPhone 4s users are unhappy.  I came across this review and the user, who also uses the iPhone 4s, is liking it.  He does not indicate if he is using the 8GB or the 16GB phone model though, so he may have more memory to work with.

Have you upgraded to version 300 yet? If so, what have your experiences been like?
Post a Comment